HOME EDUCATION PROGRAM
Home Education is a parent-directed educational option that satisfies the requirement for regular school attendance. Parents have the freedom to determine their child's educational path and the plan for reaching their goals. Students have the opportunity to explore and learn at their own pace, in any location or at any time. Home education students are able to enter institutions of higher learning and are eligible to participate in the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program.
The Walton County School District is committed to assisting parents with educational plans for their students whether the learning environment is through a home education plan or at one of our district schools. Florida Statute 1002.41 specifies the responsibilities of the parent/guardian to maintain a portfolio of records and materials. They determine the content of the portfolio, preserve it for two (2) years, and make it available for inspection if requested, by the Superintendent or designee, upon fifteen (15) days' written notice. The District cannot recommend materials, curriculum, or in any way oversee a Home Education program.
The portfolio must consist of the following:
- A log of educational activities that designates by title any reading materials used.
- Samples of any writings, worksheets, workbooks, or creative materials used or developed by the student.
Home Education students may participate in athletic/extracurricular activities as provided in School Board policies and procedures.
An annual education evaluation must be completed (at the cost of the parent/guardian) and a copy submitted to the Walton County School District Home Education Office. The first evaluation will be due one (1) year from the date the student registration is received and then each year after that. The evaluation must consist of one of the following:
- A Florida certified teacher chosen by the parent may evaluate the child's progress based on a review of the portfolio and discussion with the student.
- The student may take any nationally-normed student achievement test administered by a certified teacher.
- The student may take a state student assessment test at a location and under testing conditions approved by the school district.
- The student may be evaluated by a psychologist holding a valid, active license pursuant to section 490.003 (7) or (8), F.S.
- The student may be evaluated with any other valid measurement tool as mutually agreed upon by the parent and the superintendent.
Should a parent/guardian wish to terminate the Home Education program for any reason, they must file a written notice of termination with the school district within thirty (30) days of the termination date.
If you wish to register, you must submit a completed Notice of Intent to the WCSD Home Education Office. The Notice of Intent form may be found in the Forms section of this webpage. Although an email address is not required to register as a Home Education student, it is highly recommended for correspondence purposes with the Home Education Office. Until a Notice of Intent is received in the Home Education office your child is not enrolled into the Home Education program for Walton County School District. You will be notified once the Notice of Intent has been received by the Home Education Office.
State Testing Information for Home Education Students
Scholarships for College
Your child may qualify for scholarships such as the National Merit or Florida Bright Futures. Please visit the below websites to explore these opportunities.
If you wish to provide community service hours for submission by the Walton County School District to the Office of Student Financial Assistance as a Home Education student, then please complete the Community Service Verification Form. Once completed, return it to Donna Honish at [email protected] or WCSD Home Education Office, 145 Park Street, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435