Skip to content
Walton County School District

Controlled Open Enrollment

Controlled Open Enrollment

Controlled Open Enrollment

The School Board of Walton County is adopting a policy guiding Controlled Open Enrollment as required by law under State Statute 1002.31, Florida Statutes. Controlled Open Enrollment (COE) allows a parent from any district in Florida to enroll and transport his or her student to any public school that has not reached capacity. Certain students, such as dependents of active duty military whose move resulted from military orders, or students relocated due to foster care placement, receive priority for seat assignment within a school.

District School Capacities

At or Above Capacity (Closed to COE)                   

Under Capacity (Open to COE)                     

Bay Elementary School Emerald Coast Middle School
Maude Saunders Elementary School Emerald Coast Technical College
South Walton High School Freeport Elementary School
Van R. Bulter Elementary School Freeport High School
West DeFuniak Elementary School Freeport Middle School
Mossy Head School
Paxton School
Walton High School
Walton Middle Schol

Do I need to submit a Controlled Open Enrollment Application?

  • Submit an application if you are requesting to attend a new school for the 2017-2018 school year that is outside of your transportation zone.
  • Do not submit an application if you are attending school inside your transportation zone.
  • Charter Schools:  Charter schools are public schools that are a part of Florida's program of public education. The School Board of Walton County is the sponsor of the charter schools located in Walton County, but they do not govern them. Please contact the specific charter school of interest for more information on their application process.

Application Process

If you are interested in attending a school outside of your transportation zone, please see the School Board of Walton County's approved Controlled Open Enrollment Plan. You will need to complete a 2017-2018 Controlled Open Enrollment Application for Attendance and a 2017-2018 Controlled Open Enrollment Student Performance Contract. Take the completed application and supporting documentation to the requested school and submit to appropriate school personnel.


If you would like more information, please contact the school in your transportation zone or the requested school.

Related Files